Community Council - About
The CAN Community Council is one of two Councils that guide the work of the Community Advancement Network. The CAN Community Council is a self-appointed body that is comprised of up to 30 individuals who reflect the diversity of interests, concerns, organizations, issues and populations of the Central Texas community. The role of the Community Council is to provide a link between the community at large and the policy makers and elected officials who serve on the CAN Board of Directors.
Members elected to the CAN Community Council commit to serve a three year term that begins in January and runs through December. The Community Council generally meets on the third Monday of every month from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. at the Austin City Council Boards and Commissions Room and meetings are usually televised. The meeting agenda focuses on important issues facing our community.
According to the bylaws of the Community Advancement Network, the duties of the CAN Community Council are:
- Act as a liaison between the CAN Board of Directors and the community.
- Raise community awareness about issues by providing a non-partisan forum for the exchange of information on community conditions and efforts to address needs.
- Foster, encourage and enhance collaborative efforts whenever possible.
- Consider the impacts of recommended collaborative strategies on vulnerable populations and across issue areas.
- Report and make recommendations to the CAN Board of Directors.
- Encourage community involvement in assessment, planning, and implementation processes.
Selection of Community Council Members
People who to apply to serve on the CAN Community Council may apply at any time during the year. Applications received by the 15th of September in a given year will be reviewed by a Nominating Committee selected from current Community Council members. The Community Council may elect up to 10 members for new three-year terms and may also choose to fill unexpired two-year terms. The election of new members will occur at the regularly scheduled Community Council meetings in October or November. Click on the "Application" tab at the top of this page to find an on-line application.