CAN meetings are in blue and Issue Area Group meetings are in red. Other community events are not colored.Category: C.A.N. Events Calendar
Date: Saturday, March 3, 2012 - 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
It's My Park Day
Austin's Citywide Park Service Day: March 3, 2012
Meet your neighbors and help out at a park near you!
In 2012, It's My Park Day will take place on Saturday, March 3rd 2012 from 9 am to 1 pm
It’s My Park Day is an annual community service day focused on improvements to Austin’s park. Individuals and community groups lead projects ranging from simple cleaning and repair to trail building and playground installation. We are looking for sponsors for our 2012 event. More information about sponsorship levels and benefits is here.
2012 Park Projects and event registration coming soon.
It’s My Park Day 2011 Summary Report
This list summarizes project leader survey responses and accomplishments
- 2,000 volunteers attended 72 projects and contributed more than 7,200 hours of service
- Power washed playground equipment and returned pea-gravel to the play areas
- Collected vast quantities of trash.
- Repaired trails to reduce erosion and improve accessibility. Completed check dams, cedar steps, and other technical trail improvement projects. Pruned trees trailside.
- Spread hundreds of cubic yards of mulch on trails, off leash areas, and around trees. Used Dillo Dirt on planting beds and on reseeded grassy areas
- Created rain gardens, butterfly gardens, and cactus beds to enhance native habitat. Hundreds of one to three gallon plants were installed. Weeded, trimmed and enhanced existing planting beds.
- Picked up dog waste in off leash areas
- Painted bathrooms and other structures
- Spread crushed granite along walkways
- Created windrows to control erosion along steep hillsides
- Removed invasive trees and plants to enhance biodiversity
- Refurbished volleyball courts
- Met and shared ideas with PARD representatives and Austin Parks Foundation
- Stripped, sanded and re-painted picnic tables. Removed or painted over graffiti
- Repainted sport court lines
- Planted wildflower seeds
- Repaired fences and built 40 feet of split-rail fencing
- Cleaned water fountains, pools, archways
- Power washed waxed and polished Stevie Ray Vaughan
- Installed concrete pads for future benches
- Installed new Mutt Mitt stands
- Enjoyed meeting neighbors and getting to know each other for the first time by working side-by-side. Held community building discussions and brainstormed future projects with neighbors and scouts.
- Collected native plant seeds and assisted city staff biologists with water plant relocation
- Planted more than 300 trees
Thank you to all It's My Park Day sponsors for your generous support of Austin's parks, and most of all to all the people who volunteered their time to help keep Austin's parks beautiful, useable, and green!