BY THE NUMBERS: 10 Reasons to Love the CAN Dashboard
Helping to Inform/Engage,Community and to Catalyze Collective Action
The CAN Dashboard is a rich source of local information about the socio-economic well-being of Austin and Travis County, and serves as a key resource for advocates, families, policymakers, and researchers for understanding our diverse, dynamic, and rapidly growing community. The CAN Dashboard tracks 17 indicators that help us assess community well-being in four areas: Safety, Justice and Engagement; Basic Needs; Health; and Achieving Our Full Potential. The report calls attention to areas where our community is strong as well as areas where challenges exist or may be developing. In so doing, the CAN Dashboard helps to more effectively steer our community’s efforts and resources. The 10th edition of the CAN Dashboard will be released on June 6, 2019.
On this 10th anniversary of the CAN Dashboard, we offer 10 reasons that the CAN Community Dashboard is an indispensable resource to advocates, policymakers, researchers, and others who use data to inform decision making:
- The CAN Dashboard helps to develop a holistic understanding of our community’s overall well-being and identify areas of collective attention and action.
- The CAN Dashboard is updated annually so it is a report that we can rely-on year-in and year-out.
- The CAN Dashboard reports on the 5-year trend for each indicator so that we don’t have to try to draw conclusions from just one year’s worth of data.
- The indicator data in the CAN Dashboard are displayed for a variety of geographic levels, including city, county, region, state and nation. This allows us to compare outcomes for Austin to outcomes for other cities/counties and other jurisdictions.
- The CAN Dashboard report also includes a target for each indicator and a target year to reach that indicator. This allows us to determine if that target would be met if the 5-year trend is extended to the target year.
- The CAN Dashboard includes an analysis of outcomes by race/ethnicity for several indicators in each goal area allowing us to assess how different racial/ethnic communities are fairing compared to the broader community and where we might focus our attention to address any disparities that are apparent.
- The CAN Dashboard includes a one-page analysis for each indicator that outlines: where we stand with that indicator; presents related research/data; and outlines local efforts to improve outcomes.
- The indicator data in the CAN Dashboard data and additional data that drills-down into each policy area are available to users through a user-friendly interface on our website: www.dashboard.canatx.org .
- This year’s CAN Dashboard includes a new feature called, Dashboard at a Glance, so that we can look at one chart to quickly assess: the data trend for each indicator; and if we are on track to meet the target for each indicator.
- The CAN Dashboard has been a trusted source of information for 10 years.